Jurgen Klinsmann and the USMNT have a date with El Salvador, following their 1-0 win over Costa Rica on Tuesday night to clinch Group C.
The United States managed four shots on goal in the match, but it felt like less. They had the better of the possession and plenty of time in Costa Rica's half, but failed to turn that into excellent scoring chances. Wondolowski got on the end of the best chances for either team in the first half, but failed to do his best with them. He had one shot saved in the 36th minute and blasted another a mile over the crossbar when it looked like he was an excellent position to score.
Jose Torres got the United States' next shot on target with a weak effort in the 57th minute and Diskerud did something similar in the 79th minute. This was the extent of the USMNT's clear chances until a surprising counter attack in the 82nd minute led to the goal's only game.
Costa Rica had just created a corner and had looked threatening on Celso Borges' deliveries, but the game changed in an instant off a save by Sean Johnson. He did brilliantly to stop a header by Alvaro Saborio and his outfield teammates did even better to start a break right off that save, catching Costa Rica off guard. While two-on-two with the defense, Landon Donovan played an excellent early ball for Brek Shea, who took a touch, then finished from the edge of the box to give his team a 1-0 lead, which they'd hang on to.
- This was, at least for any neutrals, a bad game. There weren't a lot of chances and the pace was slow. None of either team's good technical players did anything exceptional. It was actually a bit tough to watch.
- Landon Donovan looked like a seasoned veteran throughout the game, not just on his assist. And his assist was awesome, mind. He made all the right decisions about when to make a risky pass or take guys on and when to make a safe play.
- Chris Wondolowski had three great games before this one, but he was off tonight and I has a sad.
- Sean Johnson was more disciplined than I expected. Yay Seanson!
- I have nothing objective to say about Stu Holden and Mix Diskerud because I was fawning over them. They're too gorgeous. I'm really sorry.
- BREK SHEA SCORED OH MY GOD I'M SO HAPPY.