U.S. Soccer have a ton of questions to answer between now and March after losing twice to begin the CONCACAF Hexagonal. With just eight matches remaining in the round, the USMNT could be in real danger of not automatically qualifying for 2018’s World Cup in Russia.
Could Jurgen Klinsmann be on the way out after his team visibly quit on him in Costa Rica? Sunil Gulati stated last week that he didn’t envision a scenario where Klinsmann wouldn’t finish the Hex out as USMNT manager, but reports could suggest otherwise.
Steven Goff of the Washington Post said on Twitter following the embarrassing USMNT loss that a U.S. Soccer contact told him before the match that the federation were lining up former national team manager and current LA Galaxy head coach, Bruce Arena, to take over if the team were to lose a second match.
Earlier today, a longtime US contact told me USSF had lined up Arena in case of another loss. Didn't believe it at time, but now ... hmmm— Steven Goff (@SoccerInsider) November 16, 2016
Arena would accept the #USMNT in a second. Coached in 2 WCQ cycles. Knows how this works. No time to mold an intl novice.— Steven Goff (@SoccerInsider) November 16, 2016
If there was ever a time for a USMNT coaching change, this would be it. There are four months between now and the next meaningful match. After the last two debacles, it could be the tipping point for the federation. Then again, we could all be grasping at straws as we have after every disappointing result for the team over the past three years.