CONCACAF set the dates and matches for the final round of 2018 World Cup Qualifying for its member states on September 6. Known as the Hexagonal, the end to the qualifying cycle brings together the top six finishers in the semi-final round of the tournament. The qualifiers for this edition are the United States Men’s National Team, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Trinidad & Tobago.
As of right now, the only stadium set for the USMNT is for the November 11 clash with Mexico. The reported location is Columbus, also known as the home of ‘dos a cero’ due to the home side’s knack for defeating Mexico by that score line. Otherwise there’s not much known in concern to the remaining games on the schedule.
Here are some predictions for where US Soccer might send the Men’s National Team during the final round of qualifying:
• November 11, Columbus: There was never a doubt about the likelihood of Columbus’ MAPFRE Stadium hosting the USMNT-Mexico tilt. The US’ supremacy in Ohio is something that the federation takes lightly when facing its top rival.
• March 24, Seattle: With talk of turf no longer being an issue, Seattle gets its turn to host a USMNT team. Oft overlooked due to its turf situation, Seattle’s large soccer culture and supporter base earns it an important home game for the national team.
• June 9, Philadelphia: I’m selfishly including my city, as Philadelphia loves soccer, the national team and especially hates to be overlooked for hosting opportunities. Lincoln Financial Field is the likely destination, as it holds about four times the amount of fans as the Philadelphia Union’s Chester based Talen Energy Stadium.
• September 1, Portland: Back to the West Coast and more turf. But as fellow SSFC writer Adam Snavely says, "PDX is pretty renowned for having the best soccer turf in the U.S. and typically the best kept/most frequently changed. Only turf Henry would play on."
• October 6, NJ/NY: The final game, and perhaps the pivotal one, returns the USMNT to the East Coast. Metlife is a large stadium that has housed the USMNT previously, as well as international friendlies. Hopefully neither the NY Giants nor the NY Jets have home games that weekend.
November 11, 2016 TBD MNT vs Mexico
November 15, 2016 TBD MNT @ Costa Rica
March 24, 2017 TBD MNT vs Honduras
March 28, 2017 TBD MNT @ Panama
June 9, 2017 TBD MNT vs Trinidad & Tobago
June 13, 2017 TBD MNT @ Mexico
September 1, 2017 TBD MNT vs Costa Rica
September 5, 2017 TBD MNT @ Honduras
October 6, 2017 TBD MNT vs Panama
October 10, 2017 TBD MNT @ Trinidad & Tobago