Werder Bremen announced on Tuesday that it has come to terms with U.S. international Josh Sargent on a long-term contract extension. The length and financial details of the deal were not disclosed but ESPN’s Taylor Twellman says it is a “multi-million dollar” raise.
The 19-year-old American has appeared in just nine games for the Bundesliga side but had already reportedly drawn the interest of several clubs. With him only on an entry level contact, Bremen were smart enough to lock him down for the foreseeable future.
“We’re very pleased with Josh’s development. His future belongs at Werder, so we’re glad that we’ll accompany him on his journey in the coming years,” Bremen managing director Frank Baumann told the team’s website. “The new contract will apply retrospectively from the start of this year.”
Sargent has scored two goals on four shots in his few chances this season. He just recently earned his first career start. His extremely bright future appears to be in Bremen. The St. Louis native was very pleased with his new deal.
“I’m feeling very honored,” Sargent said. “The contract extension also shows the club’s trust in me. I’ve felt at home from day one at Werder and in Bremen and I’m looking forward to the coming years.”
How are you feeling about this news? Excited that Bremen think very highly of Sargent? Or do you wish he had tested the waters to see if a bigger club would come calling?