With just six weeks left in the Bundesliga season time is running out to see the top American players plying their trade in Germany. Unfortunately those opportunities have been reduced the past several weeks by injury but with Weston McKennie returning to team training this week it would seem he’s close to a competitive return and Christian Pulisic has also returned to training and reportedly will be available again next weekend when Dortmund face SC Frieburg. Having said all that there are a number of games of interest this weekend and due to real life happenings not much time for us to cover them so here’s your “all other notes edition” of the Weekend Viewing Guide:
- As was mentioned above Weston McKennie has returned to team training and may be available on Friday this week as Schalke look to take on Nurnberg. It’s a relatively huge matchup as far as relegation is concerned. Currently Nurnberg sit second to last with 17 points while Schalke are just five points clear of the relegation playoffs with 26 points. Dual national Timothy Tillman has been on the bench for the past two matches after seeing his first minutes of the season in the previous two matches. The game will air at 2:30p on FS2.
- Omar Gonzalez and Ventura Alvarado face off south of the border when Atlas takes on Necaxa at 10p on Univision Deportes. Omar has not made it off the bench for the past three matches while Alvarado continues to be a regular fixture captaining his side.
- Danny Williams has just 10’ in the past two games since returning from injury for relegation bound Huddersfield Town. The team will face a depleted Tottenham Hotspur squad this weekend at 7:30a on NBCSN. Tottenham will be without the services of Harry Kane and are clinging to a top four spot in the Premier League while Huddersfield are left to play the spoiler.
- Tyler Adams was an unexpected absence last weekend with an adductor injury and remains out this weekend which will deprive us of a second American v. American match-up of the weekend as his RB Leipzig team will face John Brooks and Wolfsburg this weekend. Leipzig are comfortably in Champions League position while Wolfsburg are clinging to sixth place and the final Europa League spot. The two sides will face off at 9:30a on FS1.
- Rumors are that Christian Pulisic will not be ready for Borussia Dortmund until next weekend. This weekend his team will look to rebound from their embarrassing loss to Bayern Munich by picking up a win over Mainz in a game that can be seen at 12:30p on FS1.
- James Sands, Sean Johnson and NYCFC face Minnesota United at 5p on ESPN2. NYCFC are off to a disappointing start on the season and still looking for their first league win.
- Alfredo Morales and Fortuna Dusseldorf face Bayern Munich at 9:30a on FS1 Sunday morning. Dusseldorf are sitting solidly middle of the table with no fear of relegation and no real hope of European competition either. They’ll be taking on a Bayern Munich team looking to build on last weekends momentum and remain top of the table.
- Michael Orozco and Lobos BUAP meet Tigres UANL at 5p on Univision Deportes. Orozco was left out of the squad last weekend against Chivas but had previously appeared in every match for Lobos this season.
- Sporting Kansas City will be looking to rebound from an embarrassing 5-2 Concacaf Champions League loss to Monterrey that saw them crash out of the competition 10-2 on aggregate. Gianluca Bussio has been seeing some time for the club recently, including a start last weekend along with Gedion Zelalem. Playing time for those two seems likely to dwindle a bit as SKC turn their full attention to league play now, but there’s still Zusi and Besler on that side. SKC will be facing the New York Red Bulls this weekend at 7p on FS1. Tim Parker and Aaron Long will likely see time for the Red Bulls.
Hit us up in the comments section below to let us know what else you’re seeing this weekend.