The weekend will start relatively slowly with not much action on Friday but picks up significantly on Saturday and continues Sunday with Christian Pulisic’s reported return from injury. With a full slate of action Saturday and Sunday let’s get right to it and see what sort of treats we have to find this weekend.
Tijuana v Lobos BUAP - 10:06p on FS2
Michael Orozco has been left out of the squad for the past two games for Lobos BUAP after starting the first 12 games for the team. Lobos are currently in 11th place and coming off a 3-0 loss to Tigres UANL. The team is solidly middle of the table, no threat to the top being nearly 20 points back. Here’s to hoping Orozco can work himself back into the lineup for Lobos before the end of the season.
Bayern Munich v Werder Bremen - 9:30a on FS1
Josh Sargent and Aron Johannsson have been glued to the bench the past several weekends with Sargent receiving just seven minutes of playing time since February and Johannsson making the bench but yet to see the field since his return from injury.
Werder Bremen currently sit seventh in the Bundesliga just one point behind Hoffenheim for sixth place and a coveted Europa League spot. The team is coming off a 2-1 win over Frieburg but they’ll have their work cut out for them this weekend as they take on league leading Bayern Munich who have been scoring goals seemingly at will recently.
It seems unlikely that Johannsson will see his first minutes of the season this weekend or that Sargent will suddenly get back off the bench against the league giants but the match has significant implications and could be worth a look regardless.
Borussia Monchengladbach v RB Leipzig - 12:30p on FS1
Fabian Johnson didn’t make it off the bench last weekend for Borussia Monchengladbach, just the first time in the past eight games that the US international didn’t appear for the club as they’ve fallen to fifth place in the Bundelisga with just one win in their past four games. Currently they sit one point behind Eintracht Franfurt for fourth place and the final Champions League position.
On the opposite side of the field Tyler Adams has missed the past two weeks with an adductor injury and while he has returned to individual training this week it seems unlikely that he will see the field for RB Leipzig as typical recovery can take a number of weeks. RB Leipzig haven’t missed a beat without Adams, winning their past two games and currently sitting in third place, six points clear of fifth with five games to play.
Schalke 04 v Hoffenheim 2:30p on FS2
Weston McKennie has been back with Schalke in team training and has said that if the manager calls on him he is prepared to take the field on Saturday but it remains to be seen if he’s fully recovered from his scary ankle injury suffered during international action in March. Schalke are currently sit in 15th place, just one spot removed from the relegation playoff but thankfully separated from 16th place Stuttgart by six points with five games remaining. This weekend the team will play six place Hoffenheim who are clinging to their Europa League position.
- Defending champions Atlanta United are coming off their first win of the season, a 2-0 win over the New England Revolution and will be looking to continue the momentum against FC Dallas and their youth movement at 4p on Saturday, a game that can be seen on ESPN. Brad Guzan, Darlington Nagbe and Brek Shea are likely to see time for Atlanta while Paxton Pomykal, Reggie Cannon and Matt Hedges will see the field for FC Dallas.
- Captain Ventura Alvarado will take the field for Necaxa as they take on Pachuca at 6p on ESPN Deportes. Alvarado has been a steady presence for Necaxa with the exception of three games missed mid season due to injury. Necaxa currently sit in fourth place in Liga MX.
- Omar Gonzalez has not appeared in the past four games for Atlas and William Yarbrough has yet to appear in the Clausura for Leon this season. The two teams face off at 6:06p on Univision Deportes.
Freiburg v Borussia Dortmund - 9:30a on FS1
It was reported last week that Christian Pulisic would be ready to return for Borussia Dortmund this weekend against Freiburg after having missed the past three games due to an injury. Dortmund will need some help down the stretch if their to surpass Bayern Munich for the league trophy, currently sitting just one point back of the leaders. This weekend Dortmund will be facing 13th place Frieburg who wouldn’t seem to have much to play for as they are almost assured of safety from relegation and clearly don’t have a chance at an of the European competitions either.
- Bobby Wood has not appeared in the past five games for relegation bound Hannover. The team plays Hertha Berlin at Noon on FS1.
- Chris Durkin made the most of his first start for D.C. United last weekend in the clubs 3-2 win over the Colorado Rapids, scoring his first goal for the club. Perhaps the strong showing will see Durkin awarded more time when the team faces New York City F.C. at 4p on ESPN. Bill Hamid and Paul Arriola will certainly see the field for D.C. United while James Sands and Sean Johnson have been regular starters for NYCFC.
- It will be a battle of league leading teams in the Western Conference when the Los Angeles Football Club takes on the Seattle Sounders FC at 6p on FS1. LAFC are coming off their first loss of the season, a 1-0 defeat to the Vancouver Whitecaps while Seattle is coming off a 3-2 win over Toronto FC. Cristian Roldan and Jordan Morris will take the field for Seattle while the USMNT presence for LAFC will likely be limited to Christian Ramirez and perhaps a substitute appearance from Josh Perez.
Let us know what else you’re seeing in the comments below.