We return from an international break to a weekend full of action including the start of the MLS playoffs, Bundesliga, EPL, and la Liga action so let’s get right to it.
Nashville SC v Inter Miami - 9p on ESPN2
The MLS playoffs kickoff a little earlier in the evening but it’s in Nashville where it feels like we’re more likely to see some participants for December’s domestically based camp. 2020 MLS Defender of the year Walker Zimmerman will be leading the back line for Nashville and was called to the last domestic camp in January. Daniel Lovitz has been called up in the past but was not included last winter and may be on the outside looking in. There’s not to much to watch in the Inter Miami lineup from a current USMNT perspective but Brek Shea is an interesting blast from the past.
- The first game of the evening features the New England Revolution facing off against the Montreal Impact at 6:30p on FS1. Matt Turner is deserving of a solid look in goal from the MLS side as he’s been a tier above any domestically based competition.
Eintracht Frankfurt v RB Leipzig - 12:30p on ESPN+
Tyler Adams and RB Leipzig look to keep pace with Bayern Munich Saturday afternoon when they face an Eintracht Frankfurt side that is looking for their first win in five matches. Leipzig went into the international break off a 3-0 win over Freiburg and have five wins and just one loss in their first seven Bundesliga matches. Adams saw just 8’ in their last match but it was coming off of two games missed due to injury. The young man looked fully healthy playing for the US over the break and should be fully available Saturday. On the opposite side of the field Timothy Chandler has seen just 50’ of playing time through seven games for a Frankfurt side that has lost just once but have drawn four matches.
- The MLS Playoffs continue as Daryl Dike, Chris Mueller, and Orlando City face Keaton Parks, Sean Johnson, and NYCFC at Noon in a match that can be seen on Unimas and is also apparently streaming on the MLS website. James Sands will miss the match with a fractured foot.
- The Columbus Crew with Gyasi Zardes and Darlington Nagbe face the New York Red Bulls in a second game on Unimas at 3p Saturday afternoon.
Looking through the paywall:
- Christian Pulisic remains out for Chelsea FC who face Newcastle United at 7:30a on Peacock.
- Josh Sargent and Werder Bremen face Bayern Munich at 9:30a on ESPN+. Chris Richards made the bench for league leading Bayern in their win over Borussia Dortmund but did not see the field.
- John Brooks and Wolfsburg look to stay undefeated when they face FC Schalke at 9:30a on ESPN+. Brooks has played the full 90’ of every match for a Wolfsburg side that has only won twice but have yet to give up more than a single goal in any game.
- Giovanni Reyna and Borussia Dortmund look to rebound off a tough loss to Bayern Munich when they face Hertha Berlin at 2:30p on ESPN+.
- Weston McKennie came off the bench in Juventus’ 1-1 draw with Lazio their last time out. The team looks to bounce back against middle of the table Cagliari at 2:45p on ESPN+.
- Barcelona look to build on just their second win of the la Liga season, a 5-2 thumping of Real Betis, but will have their work cut out for them facing Atletico Madrid at 3p on beIN Sports. Sergino Dest did not make it off the bench for Barca in their last match.
Portland Timbers v FC Dallas - 10p on ESPN
The final match of the weekend pits the Portland Timbers against FC Dallas. Jeremy Ebobisse will start for the Timbers and could get a look in December coming off a solid season. Coming in to the season FC Dallas was the team to watch for those interested in up and comers in the MLS but injuries and underperformance have slowed if not derailed that train. The team is still full of notable names including Ricardo Pepi, Tanner Tessman, Bryan Clark, and Jesus Ferreira (none of who have hit 20-years-old yet) but the growth is still necessary. The silver lining is that it doesn’t look like the team has given up on the youth movement yet.
- Sporting Kansas City and San Jose meet at 4p on FS1. Gianluca Busio looks like the most like SKC member to get called in for December while Nick Lima, Cade Cowell, and the ageless Chris Wondolowski (who recently reupped for one more year) will see time for San Jose.
- Chase Gasper and Minnesota United face Jonathan Lewis, Auston Trusty, Cole Bassett, Kellyn Acosta and the Colorado Rapids at 7:30p on ESPN.
Looking through the paywall:
- Tim Ream, Antonee Robinson, and Fulham face Everton at 7a on Peacock Sunday morning. Everton started the season on a tear but have lost three straight while Fulham have looked slightly better than expected (which isn’t saying much) and sit one point outside the relegation zone.
- Timothy Weah’s Lille face Lorient at 3p on beIN Sports. Lille have had a good start to the season but Weah has found playing time difficult to come by.
- Yunus Musah and Valencia face Deportivo Alaves at 3p on beIN Sports en espanol. Musah is of course the greatest American and would never dream of accepting an eventual callup to England.
Let us know what you’re watching this weekend in the comments section below.