It’s a solid slate of weekend activity including the USWNT in action Friday against the Netherlands and a solid slate of club action around Europe. Let’s see what we have to watch.
USWNT v Netherlands - 12:35p on ESPN2
Following the USMNT action earlier this month it’s now the USWNT’s turn to shake off the rust and play their first match in 261 days when they face the Netherlands on Friday afternoon. The game will be a rematch of the 2019 World Cup final which the USWNT won 2-0. It will be a strong side for the US including one of the World Cup final goal scorers in Rose Lavelle and FIFA Best shortlister Alyssa Naeher. Alex Morgan is also making her return to the team for the first time since the 2019 final.
- John Anthony Brooks and Wolfsburg face off against Josh Sargent and Werder Bremen at 2:30p on ESPN+. Wolfsburg is undefeated to start the 2020-21 season while Werder Bremen have drawn five straight with an identical 1-1 scoreline.
Valencia v Atletico Madrid - 10:15a on beIN Sports
Yunus Musah and Valencia take on an Atletico Madrid side looking to make a run at the league title this season. Atletico are coming off a 1-0 win over Barcelona, their first win over the Spanish giants in a decade. Meanwhile Valencia, who have already picked up a 4-1 win over Real Madrid are currently in 9th place and coming off a 1-1 draw with Alaves. Musah has appeared in all but one match for Valencia to start the season, including eight starts in ten matches.
Looking through the paywall:
- Giovanni Reyna and Borussia Dortmund face Koln at 9:30a on ESPN+. Dortmund are coming off a 5-2 thumping of Hertha Berlin which drew them within one point of first place Bayern Munich.
- Tyler Adams and RB Leipzig suffered a 1-0 loss to PSG in Champions League play midweek but are themselves just two points back of Bayern. They face relegation threatened Arminia Bielefeld at 9:30a on ESPN+.
- Chris Richards started at LB for Bayern Munich in their midweek 3-1 win over Jesse Marsch and RB Salzburg. The team faces Stuttgart at 9:30a on ESPN+.
- Weston McKennie started midweek for Juventus in Champions League play but has come off the bench in the last two league games for the team. The club is off to a but of a slow start as they look to capture their 10th straight league title but will face 14th place Benevento this weekend at Noon on ESPN+.
Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - 11:30a on NBCSN
Christian Pulisic has returned to training and is available for selection this weekend as Chelsea and Tottenham square off in a top three marquee clash. The Spurs are coming off a 2-0 win over Manchester City that saw them rise to the top of the table while Chelsea have won six straight matches across all competitions and are currently two points back in third place. Pulisic has played in just five matches for Chelsea this season as he has struggled with injury but when healthy has game changing potential. While they may wish to avoid a reinjury with a sudden increase in playing time he could be a difference maker in this top of the table clash.
- Sergino Dest opened his Barcelona account midweek scoring a goal in Champions League play and Konrad saw his first minutes for the senior side as well. Barcelona face Osasuna at 8p on beIN Sports.
- Timothy Weah and Lille face Saint-Etienne at 3p on Sunday afternoon though it doesn’t look like the match will be available in the US.
- The MLS playoffs continue Sunday when Darryl Dike and Orlando City face the New England Revolution at 3p on ABC.
- The weekend comes to a close Sunday night as the Columbus Crew and Nashville SC play at 8p on ESPN. The loser could see a couple players join the USMNT for a rare December camp.
There you have it, let us know what you’re watching this weekend.