Two legs are better than one, both anatomically and when it comes to competitions like Champions League, Europa League, and Concacaf Champions League. Pulisic and Reyna reprise their roles as Chelsea and Dortmund fight toward the Champions League semifinals, and there’s a smattering of action across the rest of the globe as well. Let’s get into it! Here’s a snapshot of the USMNT players in action:
- Chelsea FC v FC Porto, 3p on Paramount+, Galavision, ZonaFutbol, fuboTV, Sling TV, TUDN.com, Univision NOW, TUDN app: Christian Pulisic is on fire in the league, scoring 3 goals in his last 2 EPL games (only 135 minutes). Chelsea is also on a good run, having won 7 of 12, while only losing once. Apparently Thomas Tuchel has worked some magic. Pulisic came off the bench in Chelsea’s 2-0 win in the first leg in Sevilla, and the second leg will be in the same stadium. If Chelsea can hold on to their lead, they advance to the semifinals.
Also in action:
- Huddersfield Town v Bournemouth, 12:30p: Duane Holmes has played in 13 of 14 for Huddersfield, mostly as a winger and central attacking mid. Meanwhile, Cameron Carter-Vickers has played 13 straight full 90’s for Bournemouth, who have won 4 in a row to reach 6th place in the table, promotion playoff position.
- Wigan Athletic v Sunderland, 1p: Lynden Gooch and Sunderland are 3rd in League One, which almost guarantees them a playoff spot, but they could gain automatic promotion if they could make up 5 points on 2nd-place Peterborough.
- Wimbledon v Ipswich Town, 1:30p: 21-year-old Ipswich center mid Andre Dozzell was a regular England callup from U16 to U20 levels, but hasn’t been in their setup in 18 months, and is also eligible for the US.
- Rotherham United v Queens Park Rangers, 2p: Matt Olosunde and Rotherham look sure to be relegated; they face Geoff Cameron and Charlie Kelman’s QPR. Cameron has not been in QPR’s squad the last 2 times out, but I couldn’t find why.
- Atlanta United v Alajuelense, 6p on FS1, fuboTV, Sling TV, FoxSports.com, Vidgo, Fox Sports GO: When these teams met for the first leg, I mentioned Miles Robinson, George Bello, and Emerson Hyndman in the lead-up. I didn’t mention 18-year-old Argentina dual-nat keeper Rocco Ríos Novo. When Brad Guzan received a red card just before halftime, it was Ríos Novo who subbed in, and made 7 saves to preserve the away win for Atlanta. Ríos Novo had just signed a 4-day contract with Atlanta, after being loaned to their USL affiliate from Lanús in the Argentine first tier. Ríos Novo played for Argentina in the 2019 U17 World Cup, but was born in LA and is eligible for the US.
- Portland Timbers v Marathon, 8p on FS1, fuboTV, Sling TV, FoxSports.com, Vidgo, Fox Sports GO: Eryk Williamson was this close to a beautiful goal in the Timbers’ 2-2 draw away at Marathon. Jeremy Ebobisse did not dress, I believe due to injury.
- Borussia Dortmund v Manchester City, 3p on Paramount+, Galavision, ZonaFutbol, fuboTV, Sling TV, TUDN.com, Univision NOW, TUDN app: There were 2 late goals when these teams met in Manchester, and City holds a slim 2-1 lead as the tie returns to Dortmund, who have the away goal advantage. Gio Reyna was a late sub for Dortmund in the first leg, and started at the weekend, so it seems likely he will be an option off the bench for the second leg as well, just like Zack Steffen for City.
- Philadelphia Union v Saprissa, 8p on FS1, fuboTV, Sling TV, FoxSports.com, Vidgo, Fox Sports GO: The youth movement was on full display as Philly defeated Saprissa 1-0 away. Anthony Fontana (21) went the full 90, new arrival Leon Flach (20) started and played 60 minutes as a box-to-box mid (normally he’s more defensive), Quinn Sullivan (17) was a late sub, and Nathan Harriel (19) and Brandan Craig were available on the bench. Tune in Wednesday to see America’s next generation once more.
Also in action:
- VfL Osnabrück v Jahn Regensburg, 12:30p: Jann George has scored 2 goals in 3 games for Jahn Regensburg.
- Toronto FC v León, 6p on FS1, TUDN USA, fuboTV, Sling TV, TUDN.com, FoxSports.com, Vidgo, Fox Sports GO, TUDN app: Jozy Altidore started in Toronto’s 1-1 draw away to León, but came off injured and was set to undergo an MRI. Ayo Akinola missed the game due to injury, so it’s possible the home leg will not feature any USMNT-relevant players.
- Aimoré v Internacional, 8:30p: Johnny Cardoso was not in the squad for Internacional’s only game since he returned from the Olympic qualifying failure.
- SønderjyskE v Midtjylland, 10:30a: Haji Wright subbed on late in SønderjyskE’s 1-0 loss to Midtjylland in the first leg, away to FCM. He scored a nice goal in the league on the weekend, and will be looking to carry that form into the Danish cup final as they square off in the home leg Thursday morning.
- Rotherham United v Coventry City, 2p on ESPN+: Brutal week for Rotherham and Olosunde, who only get one day’s rest between QPR Tuesday and Coventry Thursday.
- AS Roma v Ajax, 3p: Again, Bryan Reynolds is not eligible for Roma per commenters; Roma lead 2-1 heading into the second leg.
- Slavia Prague v Arsenal, 3p on TUDN USA, Paramount+, fuboTV, TUDN.com, TUDN app: Unlike Reynolds, Folarin Balogun is on Arsenal’s Europa League squad, and he could play a role, as he is supposed to be signing a new contract today. (EL 2nd leg, 1-1 agg)
- Columbus Crew v Real Estelí, 8p on FS1, TUDN USA, fuboTV, Sling TV, TUDN.com, FoxSports.com, Vidgo, Fox Sports GO, TUDN app: Gyasi Zardes got the brace in the away leg in Nicaragua, and 19-year-old Aidan Morris got the start in midfield after his breakout performance in the MLS Cup final. Columbus returns home with a 4-0 lead, maybe a chance to give more minutes to youngsters like Aidan Morris, Isaiah Parente (who subbed on late in the away leg), and Aboubacar Keita, who didn’t play last week.
That’s it! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who impresses this week!