Midweek is here, and it is chock full of soccer action!
- Admira Wacker v Austria Wien - 12:30p on fuboTV: Erik Palmer-Brown has played 12 straight full 90’s for Wien.
- PEC Zwolle v Heracles Almelo - 12:45p: Luca de la Torre has started 3 out of the last 4 for Heracles, after several sub appearances.
- Waasland-Beveren v KV Mechelen - 12:45p Joe Efford has appeared in Waasland-Beveren’s last 4 matches, although 3 were off the bench and 2 were 1 minute each.
- Newcastle United v Leeds United - 1p on NBCSN, fuboTV: Yedlin missed Newcastle’s last match because of a lapse in UK work permit, having stayed on the bench the previous time out. We’ll see if he’s got the visa issue squared away and can make the squad today.
- Bournemouth v Crawley Town - 2p on ESPN+: Cameron Carter-Vickers has started 3 out of 4 for Bournemouth, who face Crawley in the 4th round of the FA Cup.
- Bristol City v Huddersfield Town - 2p: Duane Holmes just returned to boyhood club Huddersfield from Derby. We’ll see if he can jump into the squad immediately.
- VfL Osnabruck v Greuther Fürth - 2:30p: Julian Green has started 2021 with a bang, notching 2 goals and an assist while starting all 4 Furth matches.
- Fortuna Düsseldorf v Hamburger SV - 2:30p: Alfredo Morales has started all 4 of Fortuna’s matches to kick off 2021.
- Ipswich Town v Sunderland - 2:45p on ESPN+: Lynden Gooch hasn’t played for Sunderland since it was announced he tested positive for COVID ten days ago.
- Royal Mouscron v RSC Anderlecht - 3p: Matt Miazga has played every minute of Anderlecht’s 4 matches to start 2021.
- West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City - 3:15p on NBCSB, fuboTV: Zack Steffen has been relegated to cup duty since Ederson’s return to full fitness.
- Southampton v Arsenal - 3:15p on Peacock: Folarin Balogun has played for Arsenal in the Europa League and Carabao Cup, but not in the Premier League, and that seems unlikely to change unless he commits his long-term future to the Gunners.
- Boavista v Sporting Clube de Portugal - 4:15p on fuboTV: Reggie Cannon starts consistently for Boavista, although he was subbed off in their last match after they had 2 CBs red-carded inside 30 minutes.
- RB Salzburg v Josko Ried - 12:30p: Brenden Aaronson made a 30-minute cameo Sunday for his competitive Salzburg debut.
- KRC Genk v Zulte-Waregem - 12:45p: Likewise, Mark McKenzie got his Genk debut Sunday, playing the full match as the left CB in a back 3.
- Beerschot-Wilrijk v KV Kortrijk - 12:45p: Brendan Hines-Ike has played every minute of Kortrijk’s 4 matches this far into the new year.
- Chelsea v Wolverhampton Wanderers (Wolves) - 1p on Peacock: Christian Pulisic has started 4 out of Chelsea’s last 5, and Chelsea has sacked manager Frank Lampard, with Thomas Tuchel widely rumored to be next in line for the job. Tuchel coached Pulisic at Borussia Dortmund, and gave him his first pro appearance. Meanwhile, Owen Otasowie last appeared for Wolves over three weeks ago in their Jan 2 clash with Brighton, although he has been available off the bench in 2 of their last 4 since then.
- Sevilla v Valencia - 1p on ESPN+: Yunus Musah has played in Valencia’s last 4 matches, starting 2. They face Sevilla in the Copa del Rey round of 16.
- Dundee United v St Mirren - 1p: Ian Harkes and Dillon Powers have played in all 3 of Dundee United’s games so far this year, Harkes starting all 3, and Powers starting 2 and subbing on once.
- Maccabi Tel Aviv v Maccabi Haifa - 1:45p: Josh Cohen has been in the net for every minute of Haifa’s 5 games so far this year.
- Swansea City v Brentford - 2p: We don’t know if it will come in this match, but Jordan Morris’ Swansea debut will decide a lot of things: if Jordan Morris is good, if MLS is good, if Americans are good at soccer, and the future of dog ownership in this country. We’re all counting on you, Jordan.
- Middlesbrough v Rotherham United - 2p: Matt Olosunde has started all 3 games at RWB for Rotherham so far this year.
- Brighton & Hove Albion v Fulham - 2:30p on Peacock: Antonee Robinson is serving the last of his 3-game suspension after his red card vs Chelsea; Tim Ream has been relegated to FA Cup minutes.
- BSC Young Boys v Lausanne-Sport - 2:30p: Jordan Siebatcheu has come off the bench the last 2 times out for Young Boys; the 2 times before that, he started, scoring a brace in each game.
- Nurnberg v Jahn Regensburg - 2:30p: Jann George has started 3 times and subbed on once for Jahn Regensburg in their 4 games so far this year; he scored a brace against Sandhausen on Jan 17.
- Juventus v SPAL - 2:45p on ESPN+: This will be Juve’s 8th game in January. In the previous 7, McKennie has 4 starts, 2 sub appearances, and 2 goals. Let’s see what he (and Juve can do in this Coppa Italia quarter-final.
- Celtic FC v Hamilton Academical - 2:45p: Cameron Harper got his full Celtic debut against Hibs on Jan 11 due to a covid outbreak among Celtic players; he made the bench for their next game vs Livingston, and did not dress for their most recent match (also vs Livingston).
- Rayo Vallecano v FC Barcelona - 3p on ESPN+: Sergiño Dest has been ruled out of this game due to injury. Konrad has made the bench four times this year, and has one substitute appearance: in their last Copa del Rey match. They face Vallecano in the Copa del Rey round of 16.
- Heerenveen v Feyenoord - 3p on ESPN+: Times have been tough for Uly Llanez, with him not being named in the squad Heerenveen’s last 4 times out, and his dad tweeting he can’t wait for Uly to come back to Wolfsburg.
- Sparta Rotterdam v FC Twente - 12:45p: Dutch dual-national CB Kik Pierie has started all 4 games for Twente so far this year, on loan from Ajax.
- Cercle Brugge v Club Brugge - 12:45p: It’s been 94 days since Ethan Horvath last played for Brugge.
- FC St. Pauli v VfL Bochum - 2:30p on ESPN+: Leon Flach has been a second-half substitute in all 5 St. Pauli games this year.
- Tigres UANL v Club Necaxa - 10p on fuboTV, TUDN USA, ESPN Deportes: Fernando Arce is a regular starter for Necaxa, but missed their last match after picking up a red card vs San Luis.
That’s it! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who impresses this week!