The UEFA Champions League. The UEFA Europa League. Two of club football’s most prestigious competitions, and wouldn’t ya know, we have multiple Yanks to choose from. Will it be Dest or Adams on Tuesday? Reyna or McKennie Wednesday? The choice is yours; I hope you have CBS All Access. Here’s a snapshot of who’s in action this midweek:
- FC Barcelona v Paris Saint-Germain, 3p on CBS Sports, fuboTV, TUDN, Univision: Sergiño Dest started 5 of 6 for Barça in the group stage, but muscular problems have limited him of late. He came on as a late sub Saturday v Alavés. Konrad de la Fuente has only played once for Barça’s first team since Dec 2, although he’s been available on the bench every match since. They face PSG at the Camp Nou, one of the glamour fixtures in the Champions League round of 16.
- RB Leipzig v Liverpool, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Tyler Adams played in 4 of 6 for Leipzig in the group stage, but never more than 45 minutes. He’s started 6 times for Leipzig in January, and should be fit for this one, having only played 27’ on Friday. Liverpool come into town on the heels of a late collapse against Leicester in the league.
Also in action:
- Middlesbrough v Huddersfield Town, 2:45p: Duane Holmes has started Hudderfield’s last two, rising quickly since joining from Derby less than a month ago.
- FC Porto v Juventus, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV, TUDN, UniMás: Weston McKennie grew into Juve’s group stage efforts, subbing on to their 2nd and 3rd games after missing the 1st due to covid, he started the final three, going 90’ in the last two. He’s subbed on for Juve’s last 2 matches, so he should be fit and ready for the away leg to Porto.
- Sevilla v Borussia Dortmund, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Gio Reyna played in all 6 Dortmund group stage games, starting 4. It seems likely he will at least be a sub if not start in their away tie with Sevilla, as he played 59’ on Saturday.
Also in action:
- Waasland-Beveren v Eupen, 11a: Joe Efford has played in 9 straight for Waasland-Beveren in the league, but 6 of those 9 were for less than 45 minutes.
- Heerenveen v Feyenoord, 12:45p: Uly Llanez has returned to the US from Heerenveen for personal reasons while recovering from an injury. Transfermarkt lists him as injured since Jan 14, which I had missed; that explains his extended absence from the Heerenveen squad.
- Burnley v Fulham FC, 1p on NBCSN, fuboTV: Antonee Robinson was on the bench as Fulham defeated Everton 2-0 Sunday, which broke a streak of 18 straight appearances when available. Tim Ream has made the bench but not appeared in Fulham’s last 17 straight league matches.
- KV Oostende vs Genk, 1p: Mark McKenzie has played in 4 of 6 for Genk, going 90’ last Wednesday in their cup match v Sint-Truiden.
- Sunderland v Lincoln City, 1p: Lynden Gooch has played in Sunderland’s last 5 league games and started their last 2 EFL Trophy matches (their Lincoln match is in the EFL Trophy as well).
- Swansea City v Nottingham Forest, 2p: Jordan Morris got his full Swansea debut last Wednesday in their 3-1 FA Cup loss to Man City, after subbing on twice in the league. Paul Arriola got his Swansea debut in that same cup game, coming on as a late sub. Alex Mighten has been an unused sub for Forest the last 2 times out; he has 11 appearances on the season.
- Queens Park Rangers v Brentford, 2p: Geoff Cameron has started 13 straight for QPR; Charlie Kelman has made 4 appearances for QPR in 2021, all late substitutions.
- Barnsley v Blackburn Rovers, 2:45p: Daryl Dike got his full debut with Barnsley in the league v Brentford Sunday, after subbing on v Chelsea in the FA Cup 3 days earlier.
- Everton v Manchester City, 3:15p on NBCSN, fuboTV: Zack Steffen has just one league appearance this season, Jan 3, due to Ederson being out with covid.
- Bournemouth v Rotherham United, 3:15p on ESPN+: Cameron Carter-Vickers has started 6 of 9 for Bournemouth in all competitions; Matt Olosunde has played in 17 straight for Rotherham.
- SC Braga v AS Roma, 12:55p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Bryan Reynolds wasn’t in the Roma squad for their Sunday morning match with Udinese, after just clearing covid protocols. There’s a chance he could be in the squad for this Europa League clash.
- Young Boys v Bayer Leverkusen, 12:55p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Jordan Siebatcheu subbed on in 5 of 6 for Young Boys’ in the Europa League group stage. He’s played in 14 straight in the league, starting 3 of their last 5, and he was a substitute in their Sunday match, so he might get the nod against Leverkusen.
- Dynamo Kiev v Club Brugge, 12:55p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Ethan Horvath is a goalkeeper who someday hopefully won’t be stuck behind Simon Mignolet.
- LOSC Lille v Ajax, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Tim Weah played in 4 of 6 for Lille in the group stage, starting their final match v Celtic and scoring. He’s played in 13 straight in the league, and was a substitute Sunday, so he could be in line for a start.
- RB Salzburg v Villarreal CF, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Brenden Aaronson has gotten off to a flying start in Austria, playing in all 6 Salzburg matches, starting 2, and notching a goal and an assist already. He could get his first taste of European competition against Villarreal.
- Atlético San Luis v Santos Laguna, 10p on fuboTV, TUDN: Ventura Alvarado has gotten off to a rough start in the Clausura, only playing 1 in 6, and being left out of the squad 3 times.
That’s it! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who impresses this week!