This midweek features Christian Pulisic, Sergiño Dest, and Thursday, a whole lotta Europa League. Let’s get into it! Here’s a snapshot of who’s in action this midweek:
- Atletico Madrid v Chelsea FC, 3p on CBS Sports, fuboTV, TUDN, UniMás: Christian Pulisic has struggle for playing time under Thomas Tuchel in the league, failing to play in their last 3 league matches. It’a the first leg of a Champions League tie with Atletico Madrid. Atleti are first in La Liga, but have only won 2 of their last 5 in La Liga.
Also in action:
- FC Volendam v Jong Ajax, 12:45p: Alex Mendez played in 7 of Jong Ajax’s first 8 games of the season, before injury kept him out of their next 11. He’s been back healthy for about a month, making the bench 4 times and playing once, as a sub on Feb 15.
- Derby County v Huddersfield Town, 2p: Duane Holmes exploded Saturday v Swansea, scoring 2 goals (he scored 1 in 15 games with Derby this season). He’s started 4 straight for Huddersfield, and it feels safe he’s recovered his form after moving from Derby.
- Sunderland v Fleetwood Town, 2p: Lynden Gooch scored Saturday, his 6th straight league appearance for Sunderland.
- Rotherham United v Nottingham Forest, 2:45p on ESPN+: Matt Olosunde has not missed a league match for Rotherham since Nov 4 (19 straight appearances). English dual-nat winger Alex Mighten scored Saturday, his 69 minutes were the most he’d gotten in over a month.
- FC Barcelona v Elche CF, 1p on beIN Sports, fuboTV: Sergiño Dest appears to be back to full health, and should be available for this one, having gone 80’ at the weekend. Konrad de la Fuente has been a fixture on the Barça bench; the club has won 4 straight in the league.
- Swansea City v Coventry City, 2p: Jordan Morris won’t be available for Swansea, after he injured his ACL Saturday. Paul Arriola didn’t feature in that match, a 4-1 loss to Huddersfield (who got 2 goals from Duane Holmes).
- Borussia Mönchengladbach v Manchester City, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Zack Steffen should have a front-row seat as Manchester City faces A German Team (though probably not Joe Scally) in the first leg of the Champions League knockouts.
Also in action:
- Bournemouth v Cardiff City, 2:45p: Cameron Carter-Vickers has gone 90’ for Bournemouth the last 4 times out.
- Barnsley FC v Stoke City, 2:45p: Daryl Dike has played in 4 straight for Barnsley.
- Preston North End v Queens Park Rangers, 2:45p on ESPN+: Geoff Cameron has played 13 straight full 90’s for QPR in the league; Charlie Kelman has been on the bench the last 3 times out.
- Ajax v Lille, 12:55p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Tim Weah has played in 14 straight for Lille, scoring twice in 6 games this month. Lille were looking good after Weah scored the opening goal in the 72’ of their Europa League first leg against Ajax, but Ajax responded with 2 goals in the last 3 minutes to go into the second leg (which they host) up 2-1.
- Hoffenheim v Molde, 12:55 on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Chris Richards has played 3 full 90’s for Hoffenheim since joining on loan from Bayern, although he missed one game due to a knock. Like Lille, Hoffenheim coughed up a lead in their first leg against Molde, as they finished 3-3 after being up 3-1 at half. They have the advantage, as they host the second leg.
- Villarreal CF v Red Bull Salzburg, 12:55pm on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Brenden Aaronson hasn’t missed a Salzburg game since transferring from Philadelphia, making a 25’ cameo in their first leg with Villarreal (a 2-0 loss). It will take everything Salzburg has to overcome that 2-0 deficit, as they will be playing away at Villarreal.
- Bayer Leverkusen v BSC Young Boys, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Jordan Siebatcheu has scored 10 goals in Young Boys’ last 10 games, including a brace in their 4-3 first-leg upset over Leverkusen. Expect Leverkusen to come out fighting hard as the strong favorites in the second leg at home.
- AS Roma v Braga, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: I’m pretty sure Bryan Reynolds isn’t registered with Roma for this round of the Europa League, but it’s still pretty exciting to see the 19-year-old on this stage. Roma looks likely to advance after winning the away leg 2-0.
- Club Brugge v Dynamo Kiev, 3p on CBS All Access, fuboTV: Ethan Horvath has played once since Oct 24. Brugge and Kiev are tied 1-1 going into the second leg.
- Internacional v Corinthians, 7:30p: Johnny Cardoso has played in 6 of Internacional’s last 8, all as a sub. Internacional sits 2nd in the Brazilian league table.
- Atlético San Luis v Tigres UANL, 10p: Ventura Alvarado has played just once for San Luis in 7 Liga MX matches, failing to appear the last 3 times out, and not making the squad the last 2.
That’s it! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who impresses this week!