Clear out your schedule for Saturday folks, as there’s a really solid slate of action involving USMNT players throughout the day. There’s also a handful of matches on Sunday and a match on Friday as well. Let’s see what we’ve got.
Werder Bremen v. Eintracht Frankfurt - 2:30p on ESPN+
Josh Sargent does not appear to be making much progress in his development, but he does continue to start for Werder Bremen. He’s been in the starting lineup for every match this season in which he has been healthy. The club has thus far avoided a relegation battle, they are currently in 12th place, though just five points ahead of Arminia Bielefeld for the relegation playoff spot. However, one starts to wonder if staying with Werder Bremen in the first division is in Sargent’s long-term best interests.
Werder Bremen face fourth place Eintracht Frankfurt this weekend where Timothy Chandler is still on the payrol,l but has seen just 62 minutes off the bench all season. Chandler has been with Eintracht for seven years and has one year remaining on his contract. Perhaps he’s comfortable winding down his career, there but a move seems to be necessary if more play time is desired.
Borussia Dortmund v Arminia Bielefeld - 9:30a on ESPN+
Giovanni Reyna’s name continues to swirl in transfer rumors in the event that Borussia Dortmund is not able to close the six point gap between themselves and Eintracht Frankfurt for the fourth and final Champions League spot and the associated financial impact. For at least the remainder of this season, Reyna will remain with BVB, and it could be an exciting end to the season as they pursue that Champions League spot. Reyna played just 10 minutes last weekend in the teams drubbing of Schalke, and there has been some speculation that in his first full season the young man was in need of some rest. Perhaps he will get more of an opportunity this weekend as the club face 16th place Bielefeld.
Looking through the paywall:
- Matthew Hoppe and Schalke face Pellegrino Matarazzo and Stuttgart at 9:30a on ESPN+. Schalke have won only a single match while Matarazzo and Stuttgart have been a pleasant surprise in the Bundesliga this season.
- John Brooks and Wolfsburg look to maintain their Champions League positioning when facing disappointing Hertha Berlin at 9:30a on ESPN+.
- Sergiño Dest and FC Barcelona face Sevilla at 10:15a on beIN Sports and Fanatiz USA. Barcelona have pulled within five points of league leading Atletico Madrid (who do have a game in hand as well) but have a tough test this weekend as they face fourth place Sevilla.
- Tyler Adams and second place RB Leipzig face a Borussia Mönchengladbach side who had Champions League qualifying aspirations, but have slid to eighth in the league as they have lost two of their past three matches. The match will be at 12:30p on ESPN+.
- Weston McKennie and Juventus play Hellas Verona at 2:45p on ESPN+. Juventus have a game in hand but remain eight points back of league leading Inter Milan.
- Owen Otasowie has not made it off the bench for Wolverhampton Wanderers in nearly two full months but continues to make the bench. The club play Newcastle at 3p on Peacock.
- Yunus Musah and Valencia meet Getafe at 3p on beIN Sports / Fanatiz USA. The club sit inn 12th place, six points ahead of a crowded relegation battle.
Chelsea FC v Manchester United - 11:30a on NBCSN
The good news is that Christian Pulisic was healthy for Chelsea’s midweek Champions League matchup with Atletico Madrid. The bad news is he was used essentially as a time wasting sub, entering with three minutes to play in the 1-0 victory. His role under Thomas Tuchel, if there’s one to be had, remains a mystery and transfer rumors will continue to swirl. That of course isn’t Tuchel’s primary concern and he’s been successful in the area that is: a move up the table. The club has moved up to fifth place and are just two points behind West Ham for the fourth and final Champions League qualifying spot. They will have a tough test this weekend, but one that can pay big dividends as they face second place Manchester United. The Red Devils are undefeated in their past eight matches across all competitions.
Looking through the paywall:
- Antonee Robinson and Fulham are looking to make a push out of the relegation zone, they’ve drawn within three points of Newcastle United. They face Crystal Palace at 7a on Peacock.
- Chris Richards and Hoffenheim face Union Berlin at 7:30a on ESPN+. Richards appears to be making himself immediately comfortable with his new club.
- Timothy Weah has seen a bit more playing time recently and his club face Strasbourg at 11:05a on beIN Sport and Fanatiz USA.