Our cup runneth over with midweek action from Yanks abroad.
- Boavista v Nacional de Madeira, 2p: Reggie Cannon has started 5 of 6 for Boavista, who sit in a relegation playoff spot and face mid-table Nacional, who have lost 2 in a row.
- Juventus v Inter Milan, 2:45p on ESPN+, Fanatiz USA: Weston McKennie has started Juve’s last 3, and played in 7 straight. They face Inter in the second leg of the Coppa Italia semifinal, up 2-1 on aggregate.
- Internacional v Sport Recife, 5p: Johnny Cardoso has subbed on for Internacional’s last 2, and 4 of their last 5. Internacional have won 4 straight and hold a slim 1-point lead in the Brazilian league table, with a game in hand over second-place Flamengo.
Also in action:
- Burnley v Bournemouth, 12:30p on ESPN+: Cameron Carter-Vickers went 90’ for Bournemouth on Saturday, after not playing in their previous 3; they face top-tier Burnley in the FA Cup.
- Rotherham United v Cardiff City, 2p: Matt Olosunde came off the bench for Rotherham Saturday, after starting their first 6 games of the new year.
- Blackpool FC v Burton Albion, 2p: Indiana Vassilev has subbed on once for Burton Albion in their 4 games of the new year.
- Ascoli v Frosinone, 3p: Andrija Novakovich has started Frosinone’s last 5, but hasn’t scored. The club are 0-2-3 in that run, now sitting 10th in Serie B.
- KV Kortrijk v Standard Liege, 2:45p: Brendan Hines-Ike could see Belgian Cup action.
- Swansea City v Manchester City, 12:30p on ESPN+: Jordan Morris has subbed on late the last 2 times out for Swansea; Paul Arriola has his first opportunity to make a matchday squad after his more recent loan move. Zack Steffen has been in goal for all of City’s cup action this season. The Premier League leaders meet 3rd-place in the Championship with a trip to the last eight in the FA Cup on the line.
- Dijon v LOSC Lille, 1p on beIN SPORTS: Tim Weah has played in all 7 of Lille’s games this new year, although only two of those were starts. They face fellow first-tier club Dijon in the Coupe de France.
- RB Salzburg v Austria Wien, 2:30p: Brenden Aaronson and Erik Palmer-Brown have played in all 3 games to start the new year for Salzburg and Wien, respectively. They face each other in the Austrian Cup with Salzburg holding onto first place in the league by 1 point and Wien mid-table.
- Sevilla FC v FC Barcelona, 3p on ESPN+: It’s the Copa del Rey semifinal! Sergiño Dest was on the Barça bench v Real Betis Sunday; he’ll be looking for minutes in their first leg tie. Konrad has only logged one appearance for the Barça first team in 2021, although he’s made the matchday squad 5 times.
SM Caen v Paris Saint-Germain, 3p on beIN SPORTS: Niko Gioacchini had played in all 5 for Caen in 2021 until he picked up a red card for endangering the Chambly ‘keeper. He missed the next 2 games due to suspension, but should be back in the squad for their Coupe de France matchup with PSG.
Also in action:
- KRC Genk v Sint-Truiden, 12p: Mark McKenzie faces Chris Durkin in Belgian Cup action.
- Fremad Amager v SonderjyskE, 12p: Haji Wright and SonderjyskE are in the quarter-finals of the Danish Cup.
- SKN St. Pölten v LASK Linz, 12:30p: US U20 midfielder Taylor Booth has been loaned to St. Pölten in the Austrian first division from Bayern II. He joins Brenden Aaronson, Erik Palmer-Brown, and new arrival Andrew Wooten in the Austrian league.
- Admira Wacker v SCR Altach, 12:30p: Andrew Wooten has slotted straight into the team for Admira Wacker after joining from the Philadelphia Union, subbing on in their first 2 games since his arrival before starting their last time out.
- Galatasaray v Alanyaspor, 12:45p: DeAndre Yedlin made his Galatasaray debut Saturday; he could play again in the Turkish Cup.
- Maccabi Haifa v Hapoel Haifa, 1:45p: US goalkeeper Josh Cohen (Maccabi Haifa) is one of few American netminders who is a first-team regular in a European first division.
- BSC Young Boys v FC Lausanne-Sport, 2:30p: Jordan Siebatcheu has played in all 5 Young Boys games in the new year, scoring a hat trick two games ago vs FC Zurich.
- Club Brugge v Antwerp, 2:45p: Ethan Horvath got the nod in Brugge’s 6-1 cup win over Olsa Brakel last week; he could feature again as they face Antwerp in more cup action.
- Barnsley FC v Chelsea FC, 3p on ESPN+: Only 9 teams will still be alive in the FA Cup when Chelsea face Barnsley on Thursday, and they will be expected to advance with ease. Christian Pulisic has yet to play more than 45 minutes in a match under Thomas Tuchel. Pulisic subbed on in Tuchel’s first 3 games, but missed Sunday’s 2-1 win over Sheffield United due to family issues. Daryl Dike could make his Barnsley debut, as they haven’t played since he joined on loan from Orlando City.
Also in action:
- Sivasspor v Antalyaspor, 9:45a: Tyler Boyd subbed onto his first Sivasspor game after joining on loan from Besiktas, and he started their last time out. He’ll be looking for another start in this cup tie.
- Odense BK v FC Midtjylland, 12p: Emmanuel Sabbi may miss Odense’s cup match, as he was red-carded in their last match, which was a league game.
- Wolverhampton Wanderers v Southampton, 12:30p on ESPN+: Owen Otasowie hasn’t played for Wolves since Jan 2, but he’s been in the matchday squad 5 times straight. They face Southampton in the FA Cup.
- Heerenveen v Feyenoord Rotterdam, 2p on fuboTV, Fanatiz USA: Don’t expect Uly Llanez for Heerenveen in this KNVB Cup match - he hasn’t been in the matchday squad since Jan 10. A return to Wolfsburg seems likely, as this loan has not gone as planned.
- Union Saint-Gilloise v RSC Anderlecht, 2:45p: Miazga and Anderlecht have a Belgian Cup matchup.
That’s it! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who impresses this week!