There’s a solid amount of club soccer this week, though it is limited to the Western Hemisphere. Between MLS action and a sprinkling of South American matches, 50 of the 59 players on Gregg Berhalter’s preliminary Gold Cup roster will be in action. We could even see Daryl Dike and Justin Che make their first starts after returning to MLS!
Let’s get into it! Here’s a snapshot of USMNT players in action:
- Antofagasta v Coquimbo Unido, 1p: 22-year-old New York-born attacking mid Andrés Souper subbed on for Antofagasta at half-time, as this Copa Chile first leg ended in a 0-0 draw.
- Orlando City SC v San Jose Earthquakes, 7:30p on ESPN+, fuboTV, TUDN, UniMás: Daryl Dike has returned to the Lions from his Barnsley loan, at least for now. He made a 26-minute cameo in their win over Toronto Sunday. The game could also feature Cade Cowell, Andres Perea, Chris Mueller, and Jackson Yueill.
- Barcelona SC v 9 de Octubre, 9p: Michael Hoyos has played in 8 straight league matches for the other Barcelona, in Guayaquil, Ecuador. The winger also started 5 of their 6 Copa Libertadores matches across April and May.
- New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls, 7p on ESPN+, fuboTV: 18-year-old Caden Clark has 4 goals in 8 games to start the season for the Red Bulls. Also likely to feature Matt Turner, Henry Kessler, Kyle Duncan, and Frankie Amaya.
- NYCFC v Atlanta United, 7:30p on ESPN+, fuboTV: James Sands has played CB the last 6 games for NYC, after playing DM for their first two. Could he suit up at either position for the USMNT in a few weeks? Also featuring Miles Robinson, George Bello, plus Brad Guzan and Sean Johnson in the battle of veteran ‘keepers.
- Philadelphia Union v Columbus Crew, 7:30p on ESPN+: Will Leon Flach and the Union be able to stymie Gyasi Zardes? The Crew striker has 3 goals in his last 2, after being held scoreless through Columbus’ first 7 matches.
- CF Montréal v DC United, 8p on ESPN+, fuboTV: It’s battle of youth, with Moses Nyeman, Kevin Paredes, Mason Toye, Donovan Pines, and Djordje Mihailovic. Bill Hamid and Paul Arriola too, but they aren’t so young.
- Houston Dynamo v Portland Timbers, 8:30p on ESPN+: Eryk Williamson has been the midfield maestro so far this season for the Timbers. He and Jeremy Ebobisse face off against Memo Rodriguez and the Dynamo.
- Sporting Kansas City v Colorado Rapids, 8:30p on ESPN+: Is Gianluca Busio the next phenom to come through MLS? If not, you have other options: Kellyn Acosta, Sam Vines, Tim Melia, Cole Bassett, Auston Trusty, and Jonathan Lewis.
- LAFC v FC Dallas, 10:30p on ESPN+, fuboTV: Justin Che was on the bench for Dallas Sunday as they drew with the Loons. Paxton Pomykal got his first start of the season in that game, and Jesus Ferreira returned from injury to play 45 minutes himself. Also featured: Ricardo Pepi, Tanner Tessmann, and Corey Baird.
Also in action:
- Minnesota United v Austin FC, 8p on ESPN+, fuboTV: Chase Gasper and Hassani Dotson face off against Austin FC, one of only 4 MLS teams with no US Gold Cup ties.
- Chicago Fire v FC Cincinnati, 8p on ESPN+: The lone MLS matchup with zero US Gold Cup implications. It’s not Gregg’s fault Cincy traded Frankie Amaya to the Red Bulls. Mauricio Pineda will just have to try harder.
- Nashville SC v Toronto FC, 8:30p on ESPN+: Classic offense-defense battle with Jozy Altidore squaring off with Walker Zimmerman, except Jozy probably won’t play due to a falling out with Toronto.
- Seattle Sounders v Real Salt Lake, 10p on ESPN+, Prime Video: Lone Gold Cup-nominated Sounder Cristian Roldan meets RSL duo Aaron Herrera and Rubio Rubin (plus David Ochoa, who isn’t on the Gold Cup prelim list).
- Vancouver Whitecaps v LA Galaxy, 10:30p on ESPN+: Julian Araujo and Sebastian Lletget face Vancouver, one of the other only teams with no US Gold Cup entanglements.
- Chapecoense v Internacional, 6p on Paramount+, Fanatiz, Premiere: Johnny Cardoso is in a nice run of form for Internacional, playing in 5 of their last 6 and scoring a goal against Vitória in the cup on June 11.
That’s it! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who impresses this week!