It will be a busy weekend in the soccer world with the Gold Cup quarterfinals and Women’s Olympic soccer action as well. Those events will be covered in detail elsewhere, but there are a number of club matches, regular and preseason matches that can be caught this weekend as well, so let’s turn our focus there.
Atlanta United v Columbus Crew - 3:38p on ABC
Atlanta United are off to another disappointing season, which has cost Gabriele Heinze his job. The club has just 2 wins through 13 matches and the currently sit 3 spots out of the final playoff spot. Their last win was in mid-May and they are coming off a 1-0 loss to a Matt Turner-less New England Revolution. Atlanta is of course without George Bello and Miles Robinson, who are still with the USMNT at the Gold Cup. Brooks Lennon remained with his club team though he seems pretty far off the USMNT radar.
Atlanta will be facing the reigning MLS champion Columbus Crew, who themselves have stumbled a bit this season and currently sit in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, though they are coming off a 2-1 win over NYCFC. Darlington Nagbe had a goal in the win, though like Lennon, he seems far from the USMNT (albeit of his own accord). Aboubacar Keita, the 21-year-old CB who has appeared with the USYNTs, got his second start of the season last weekend in the team’s win.
- Giovanni Reyna and Borussia Dortmund face Atlético Madrid at 10a on ESPN Deportes in some preseason action. It will be BVB’s penultimate preseason match before their first “competitive” action in two weeks in the DFB-Pokal.
- John Brooks and Wolfsburg face Monaco at 11:45a on TUDN in more preseason action.
Looking through the paywall:
- The Chicago Fire face Toronto FC and Jozy Altidore, who picked up a goal in his return to the team last weekend. This match will be at 8:08p on ESPN+.
- Minnesota United and Hassani Dotson face the Portland Timbers and Jeremy Ebobisse at 8:08p on ESPN+.
- Paxton Pomykal, Ricardo Pepi, Jesus Ferreira, and FC Dallas face Julian Araujo and the LA Galaxy at 8:38p on ESPN+.
- Walker Zimmerman will be returning to Nashville SC, but it is yet to be seen how long he will miss for his club. This weekend, his team will be focused on a matchup with FC Cincinnati at 8:38p on ESPN+.
- Cade Cowell is training with the USMNT, so it seems likely he will miss his club’s match when the San Jose Earthquakes face the Houston Dynamo at 10:08p on ESPN+.
- David Ochoa and Real Salt Lake face Cole Bassett and the Colorado Rapids at 10:08p on ESPN+.
There is just one match on network TV Sunday, a preseason matchup between Bryan Reynold’s Roma and Debrecen at 3p on ESPN Deportes. So, for the weekend, we will be skipping right to the paywall section (I’m on vacation people, give me a break).
Looking through the paywall:
- Henry Kessler is also training with the USMNT, so New England is likely to be without he and Matt Turner on Sunday when they face CF Montreal at 6:08p on ESPN+.
- Keaton Parks and NYCFC face Chris Mueller and Orlando City at 6:08p on ESPN+.
- Inter Miami face the Philadelphia Union at 7:38p on ESPN+. The Union have a number of young players on their team, but none made it off the bench last weekend.
- Moses Nyeman and Griffin Yow came off the bench for DC United last weekend in their loss to the Union. This weekend, the team face Caden Clark and the New York Red Bulls at 8:08p on ESPN+.
- Daniel Leyva has seen additional playing time for the Seattle Sounders recently, including the start last weekend in the team’s 1-0 loss to Minnesota United. Josh Atencio and Ethan Dobbelaere also saw time off the bench in the loss. This weekend, the team faces Sporting KC, who are without Ginaluca Bussio. The match will be at 8:08p on ESPN+.
Let us know what you’re seeing this weekend in the comments section below.