While there’s no Champions League action this midweek, we still have 47 notable Americans in action, by my count! Christian Pulisic could make his return from injury for Chelsea FC, and he’ll be accompanied by Sergiño Dest, Weston McKennie, Brenden Aaronson, Konrad de la Fuente, Yunus Musah, and many more. It’s a Carabao Cup week in England, and several other top European leagues have league matches going on, in addition to some MLS action.
Let’s get into it! Here’s a snapshot of USMNT players in action. Injured players are highlighted in red, dual nationals in blue.
- Rizespor v Altay, 10a: Tyler Boyd notched his first assist for Rizespor on Saturday, but the club lost their third straight; they sit bottom of the Turkish top-tier table.
- Helsingør v Odense, 11:45a: Emmanuel Sabbi has played at least 73’ in all 9 of OB’s league matches to start the season. OB faces second-tier side Helsingør in the Danish Cup.
- Fulham v Leeds United, 2:45p on ESPN+: Antonee Robinson and Tim Ream have been loving life in the Championship, but they face a Premier League foe in this Carabao Cup tie. Jedi got his first Fulham goal in their last Carabao Cup match.
- Manchester City v Wycombe Wanderers, 2:45p on ESPN+: Zack Steffen hasn’t been in City’s squad since August due to coronavirus; but is expected to start in this Carabao Cup clash with Wycombe.
- Norwich City v Liverpool, 2:45p on ESPN+: Josh Sargent made his full Premier League debut Saturday vs Watford; the Canaries welcome Liverpool to Carrow Road in this Carabao Cup tie. Sargent scored 2 goals and added an assist as Norwich drubbed Bournemouth 6-0 in their last Carabao Cup match.
Also in action:
- Karagümrük v Antalyaspor, 10a: Haji Wright scored vs Beşiktaş Saturday, making it 4 goals in 5 games for Antalyaspor, after a hat trick vs Rizespor on August 27.
- Schwaz v St. Pölten, 12:30p: Uly Llanez has played in 5 of 6 for St. Pölten. They face third-tier Schwaz in the Austrian Cup.
- Preston North End v Cheltenham Town, 2:45p: Matt Olosunde has yet to play for Preston this season due to injury; they face Cheltenham in the Carabao Cup.
- Gillingham v Charlton Athletic, 2:45p: Charlie Kelman and Gillingham face Charlton in League One action.
- Spezia v Juventus, 12:30p on Paramount+: Weston McKennie has less than 120’ in 4 league matches for Juve to start the season. The Bianconeri travel to Liguria for this one.
- Lille v Reims, 1p on beIN Sports, fuboTV (free trial), Fanatiz, Sling TV: Tim Weah got 28’ off the bench Saturday in his return from injury. It’s been a rocky start for Lille in Ligue 1; they’ll be looking for 3 points at home to Reims.
- RB Salzburg v Kalsdorf, 1p: Brenden Aaronson and Salzburg play third-tier Kalsdorf in the Austrian Cup, after Aaronson scored a nice goal Sunday. Salzburg have won the Cup three times straight, and 8 times out of 10.
- Sevilla v Valencia, 1:30p: Yunus Musah had a nice showing vs Real Madrid Sunday, although he was involved in Real’s late winner.
- Chelsea v Aston Villa, 2:45p on ESPN+: It’s unclear whether Christian Pulisic will be ready to return for Chelsea in this Carabao Cup game, after missing time due to injury.
- AC Milan v Venezia, 2:45p on Paramount+: Gianluca Busio got a set-piece assist for Venezia’s only goal Sunday, but they gave up a stoppage time goal to lose to Spezia. Tanner Tessmann has been on the bench for Venezia’s last 3, after subbing into two late August matches.
- Angers v Marseille, 3p on fuboTV, Fanatiz, Sling TV: Konrad de la Fuente is one of the top young goal-creators in Ligue 1 since joining Marseille. Olympique are second in Ligue 1, and could pull within 2 points of PSG with a win.
- Real Madrid v Mallorca, 4p on ESPN+: Matthew Hoppe scored a lovely goal for Mallorca in his La Liga debut, only for it to be ruled offside. 22 days after transferring away from Schalke in the 2. Bundesliga, he will face Real Madrid at the Bernabéu.
- Chicago Fire v New England Revolution, 7:30p on ESPN+: Matt Turner will be in the net for the Revs, who are fifteen points clear in the East, and ten points clear in the entire league.
- New York Red Bulls v NYCFC, 8p on ESPN+, fuboTV: Caden Clark and John Tolkin play host to James Sands and Keaton Parks in the Hudson River Derby.
- Seattle Sounders v León, 10p on ESPN2, TUDN, UniMás, fuboTV, Sling TV: Cristian Roldan, Stefan Frei, and Josh Atencio will host Guardianes 2020 champions León in the Leagues Cup final.
Also in action:
- Lausanne v Young Boys, 12p: Jordan Pefok will come into this Swiss league matchup on a high after scoring the winner over Ronaldo’s Man United last week and his club posting a 7-1 spanking of Iliria in a Cup match Sunday.
- Montpellier v Bordeaux, 1p on fuboTV, Fanatiz, Sling TV: Niko Gioacchini got the late assist for Montpellier Sunday to get the draw with Troyes.
- Kayserispor v Galatasaray, 1p on Fanatiz: DeAndre Yedlin has started 3 straight for Galatasaray, which is good, because he only got 90’ for them in all of August.
- Maccabi Haifa v Hapoel Beer Sheva, 1:15p: Josh Cohen and Haifa play in the Toto Cup final; Haifa haven’t won the Cup since 2012-13.
- Espanyol v Deportivo Alavés, 1:30p: Matt Miazga has started 2 of 3 for Alavés, who sit bottom of La Liga with 0 points from 4, and a -9 goal differential.
- Fehervar v Ferencváros, 2p: Henry Wingo and Ferencváros will be looking for a win to pull into second in the Hungarian table; they have 2 games in hand on the 2 teams above them.
- Arsenal v Wimbledon, 2:45p: Folarin Balogun hasn’t been with the Gunners’ first team since August 22, but has put up wild numbers in his two U23 games so far this year.
- Antwerp v Genk, 2:45p: Mark McKenzie will look for the start as Genk face Antwerp, who are missing Sam Vines due to injury.
- Lyon v Troyes, 3p on fuboTV, Fanatiz, Sling TV: One downside of being part of a loan army is lack of fitness, which seems to have kept Erik Palmer-Brown from making Troyes’ matchday squad so far. Fellow US-eligible CB Philippe Sandler made a 12’ cameo Sunday.
- HFX Wanderers v CF Montréal, 5p on FS2, fuboTV, Sling TV: Djordje Mihailovic and Mason Toye propel Montreal forward in this Canadian Championship quarterfinal.
- Inter Miami v Nashville SC, 7:30p on ESPN+, nashvillesc.com: Walker Zimmerman will attempt to contain Robbie Robinson and Inter Miami.
- Cambuur v Heracles, 12:45p: Luca de la Torre continues to start consistently for Heracles. He played well and drew a red-card foul on AZ to help pick up a big win Sunday.
- Allerød v Brøndby, 1:45p: Christian Cappis has played in all 7 Brøndby league matches he’s been available for this year. Brondby faces fourth-tier side Allerød in the Danish Cup.
- AS Roma v Udinese, 2:45p on Paramount+: Bryan Reynolds has played the same number of minutes (2) as the amount of times he’s been left out of the matchday squad for Roma this year.
- Celtic v Raith Rovers, 2:45p: Cameron Carter-Vickers is off to a flying start with Celtic, starting both league games and scoring a goal in his debut. He came down to earth in their 4-3 loss to Real Betis in Europa League, as he was involved in all 4 Betis goals.
- Paços de Ferreira v Boavista, 3:15p: Reggie Cannon has yet to make the matchday squad for Boavista this season, in what is turning into a nightmare club situation. These two clubs are tied on points after six games; they meet in the League Cup.
- Cádiz v Barcelona, 4p on ESPN+: Sergiño Dest has been consistent at right back for Barça, starting 3 of their 5 La Liga games and subbing into another. He did miss a league match vs Sevilla due to injury, and stayed on the bench for their 0-3 Champions League embarrassment to Bayern Munich
Also in action:
- Pachuca v Necaxa, 10p on TUDN, fuboTV: Alex Zendejas has played every minute for Necaxa in the Liga MX Apertura so far, and has 4 goals in 9 games.
That’s it! Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments below. Let’s see who impresses this week!