Let’s go on a journey. Lots of club soccer has been played over this past week since the international break wrapped up. Let’s get to the highlights for all the USMNT players!
Saturday, October 14
- Cole Bassett played 90 minutes for the Colorado Rapids against Dallas, taking this free kick that led to a goal.
- Diego Luna started for Real Salt Lake against the Galaxy and scored this goal in the second half.
- Cade Cowell and Matthew Hoppe both started for the San Jose Earthquakes in a friendly with Honduran club CD Olimpia. Hoppe assisted Cowell on the first goal, and Hoppe scored himself later in the game.
- Drake Callender and DeAndre Yedlin both played 90 minutes for Inter Miami against Charlotte FC, while Noah Allen started and played 60. Callender allowed 2 goals; Yedlin was involved in the first and Allen in the second.
- Allen also had a chance to score a winner, but his shot was saved.
- Gio Reyna played 30 minutes off the bench for Borussia Dortmund against Werder Bremen. This backheel was nice:
- Alan Soñora started for Huracán and played 67 minutes, scoring this goal inside the first 5 minutes.
- John Brooks started for Hoffenheim against Frankfurt and was subbed off at halftime, with Hoffenheim allowing 3 goals in the first half. Brooks wasn’t involved in 2 of the goals, but he was very much to blame for this one, expecting the ‘keeper to come get it before getting turned to allow the shot:
John Brooks mistake for Frankfurt goal pic.twitter.com/JDamzRKSdT— Every Frame (@EveryFrame3) October 23, 2023
- Kevin Paredes subbed on for Wolfsburg in the 78th minute against Leverkusen. He played on the right side, had a shot that was saved, and did a bit of defending:
Kevin Paredes 2 plays vs Leverkusen— Every Frame (@EveryFrame3) October 23, 2023
-gets a shot in the box, sends it tamely right at GK
-defends inside his own penalty areapic.twitter.com/SDFhBwwf6k
- Luca Koleosho subbed on for Burnley at halftime against Brentford. He got a chance to score, but missed:
Luca Koleosho miss vs Brentford pic.twitter.com/tkNNVIoKkH— Every Frame (@EveryFrame3) October 23, 2023
- Matt Turner played the full 90 for Nottingham Forest against Luton, allowing 2 goals. You can see the game highlights here.
- Alex Méndez assisted the game’s only goal for Vizela against Atlético CP, but it doesn’t seem like there’s video of it anywhere.
- Griffin Yow subbed on for Westerlo in the 72nd minute and scored an equalizer in the 94th minute!
Griffin Yow goal vs RWD Molenbeek pic.twitter.com/6kITIV1ytt— Every Frame (@EveryFrame3) October 23, 2023
- Ricardo Pepi and Malik Tillman both subbed on for PSV in the 79th minute against Fortuna Sittard. Pepi made a good cutback that led to a shot that went wide (below), while Malik gave up this penalty in stoppage time.
Ricardo Pepi key pass vs Fortuna Sittard pic.twitter.com/UU3isBiEtH— Every Frame (@EveryFrame3) October 23, 2023
Auston Trusty played the full 90 in Sheffield United’s 1-2 loss to Manchester United at home. Here are a few of his actions in the game:
Auston Trusty few plays vs Manchester United pic.twitter.com/9YrGDFuIB3— Every Frame (@EveryFrame3) October 23, 2023
Luca de la Torre started for Celta Vigo and played 80 minutes against Atlético Madrid. He made several good plays, and could’ve had multiple assists with better finishing from his teammates.
Luca de la Torre few plays vs Atlético Madrid pic.twitter.com/OEJPvSgIUz— Every Frame (@EveryFrame3) October 23, 2023
- DeAndre Yedlin played the full 90 for Inter Miami and was beaten for Charlotte FC’s first goal.
- US U23 defender George Campbell played the first 80 minutes for CF Montreal and was involved in this goal scored by Columbus.
- Miles Robinson, Lucho Acosta, and Roman Celentano played the full 90 as FC Cincinnati hosted Atlanta United, while Caleb Wiley and Matt Miazga both came off in the 90th minute. Celentano gave up 2 goals to Atlanta; Miazga was involved in both the first and the second.
- Lucho Acosta got a hockey assist for Cincinnati’s opener, which was defended by both Robinson and Wiley. Lucho then scored this header in first-half stoppage time, beating Wiley once again.
- John Tolkin played the full 90 for the New York Red Bulls against Nashville SC, scoring this 94th-minute penalty to send the Red Bulls 14-season playoff streak alive.
- Noel Buck started for the New England Revolution and played 90 minutes against the Philadelphia Union, showing off his skills with this sombrero.
- Chris Brady played the full 90 for Chicago Fire, allowing just this one belter of a goal by NYCFC.
- Sean Johnson played the full 90 in goal for Toronto FC, and Duncan McGuire scored twice on him after coming on for Orlando City in the 61st minute. McGuire’s first goal was a ridiculous solo effort (below). Here’s his second.
- Diego Luna played the first 89 minutes for Real Salt Lake against Colorado, and 21-year-old keeper Abraham Rodriguez played the full 90 for the Rapids. Rodriguez allowed just this one goal, this rocket from Luna.
- Jesús Ferreira, Bernard Kamungo, Paul Arriola, and Paxton Pomykal all started for FC Dallas against the Galaxy. American defender Nkosi Tafari won the ball, stepped into midfield, and played Kamungo in behind for Dallas’s first goal.
- Pomykal got a hockey assist on the second, which Ferreira set up for Kamungo.
- Kamungo went off injured a few minutes later, and Arriola got this assist just before halftime.
- Jeremy Ebobisse started for the San Jose Earthquakes and played 87 minutes against Austin, picking up this assist early on with his aggressive pressing. Owen Wolff started for Austin FC and played 77 minutes, scoring this looping header in the first half.
- Cristian Roldan played the full 90 for the Seattle Sounders against St. Louis, getting this assist in the first half. Reed Baker-Whiting also started, and played 58 minutes, creating this St. Louis own goal.
- Ilie Sánchez played the full 90 for LAFC against Vancouver. He got this assist to Denis Bouanga in the first half and was involved defensively in this Whitecaps goal in the second half.
- Alejandro Zendejas subbed on for Club América in the 62nd minute against Santos Laguna and scored this goal.
- Taylor Booth started for Utrecht and played 61 minutes against Ajax, creating this chance.
- Mark McKenzie played the full 90 for Genk against Mechelen, and got this assist on a set piece.
- Amir Richardson, who appears fully committed to Morocco, but is still US-eligible, played 82 minutes for Reims and scored this goal against Toulouse.
- Marlon Fossey played 80 minutes for Standard Liège against Anderlecht, notching this assist early in the second half.
- Christian Pulisic, Yunus Musah, Weston McKennie, and Tim Weah all started as AC Milan faced Juventus in Serie A. Pulisic was subbed off for a defender late in the first half due to Milan going down a man.
- Weah got the assist on the game’s only goal (below). The pass itself was simple, but Weah showed good movement in the buildup, receiving the ball on the right flank and moving all the way across to the left before setting up Locatelli. Weah went off injured later, hopefully it’s not serious.
- McKennie created this chance in second half stoppage time.
- Fidel Barajas started for the Charleston Battery and played 60 minutes against Indy Eleven in the USL Championship, getting this assist before halftime and scoring this goal early in the second half. The U17 Mexican-American winger was recently linked with PSV.
- Kristoffer Lund started for Palermo and played 74 minutes against Spezia, recording this assist just before he was subbed off.
- Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson both played the full 90 in Fulham’s 0-2 loss to Tottenham Hotspur. Ream was beaten on the first goal and involved in the second. You can catch full highlights of the game here.
Who impressed? Who needs to improve? Hit the comments to let us know your favorite moments from this week.